Instead of “New Year, New You,” how about “New Year, Better Me!” The beginning of the year is a great time to refocus, reorganize and reprioritize what matters to you and what you want to get out of the next 365 days. So when you’re planning to eat healthy, exercise more, and find better work-life balance, make sure you’re putting your skincare at the top of this list! After all, there is no better time to love the skin you’re in. Here are our Top 10 Medical and Cosmetic Skincare Tips for getting the most out of your skin so you can look as good as you feel!
- Use the best products for your skin type. While this might seem obvious, we find that so many people are using products that actually make their skin dryer or oilier, or they’re using the wrong creams before bed and the wrong washes in the morning. Most skin is normal, dry, oily, or a combination, and if you’re not sure which category you fall into, please schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our licensed medical aestheticians. Depending on your skincare goals, you can maintain a pretty simple routine of cleanser, moisturizer and sunscreen.
- Kickstart the year with CoolSculpting. CoolSculpting is an FDA-approved option for people who would like to lose stubborn body fat without opting for lengthy, surgical or painful procedures. The procedure, called cryolipolysis (aka “fat freezing”) targets small amounts of extra fat that diet and exercise can’t remove, including arms, thighs, lower back, belly and sides. This is a great addition to your healthy exercise regimen that will help to shed those last few inches!
- Map your moles. The DermaGraphix Mole Mapping System with Artificial Intelligence is the most innovative mole mapping system available. It uses a high resolution camera to map a patient’s entire skin surface, creating a photographic baseline. We repeat these photos at a set interval, usually six or 12 months, at which time we can compare any changes in existing moles, as well as document any new moles. Tracking changes in moles and documenting new moles has been proven to aid in detecting melanoma in its earliest stages, which can be life saving.
- Invest – and use! – daily sun protection. Not only does sunscreen and SPF clothing help to combat skin cancer, it can also help prevent wrinkles, which can keep you looking younger. We recommend using a sunscreen with zinc as the active ingredient and an SPF of 30 or higher, and to reapply every two hours if you find yourself outside periodically during the day. Using a daily moisturizer with sunscreen will get you into a good routine of protecting your face every day. We recommend Elta MD UV daily.
- If you do have unwanted wrinkles, it’s time to say goodbye! We proudly offer Botox and Dysport to help our patients who are interested in plumping and reducing fine lines and wrinkles. These naturally occurring proteins safely relax the muscles where they are injected, allowing patients to keep their natural features while reducing the movements that cause the wrinkles. The procedure takes only a few minutes and the results may last from three to four months.
- Schedule annual skin exams with a board certified dermatologist. Our team of dermatologists is dedicated to providing the highest level of personalized care to improve the health of our patients’ skin. We use only the best technology and latest techniques to diagnose more accurately and treat more effectively any skin condition, and treat the full range of medical dermatology conditions in both children and adults. Regardless if you have a concern or not, it’s important to get a skin exam every year.
- Save time with laser hair removal! Shaving, waxing and tweezing is not only uncomfortable, it’s also time consuming and doesn’t always yield the best results. Thanks to laser hair removal, you don’t have to deal with razor bumps, ingrown hairs or irritated skin anymore. Laser hair removal is most effective for people who have light skin and dark hair, simply because the laser beam targets the pigment (color) in the hair. However, we have specialized lasers that can safely treat all skin types and colors, and our hair removal experts are highly skilled in getting the best results! If you have white, red or blonde hairs, we also offer the latest technology in electrolysis.
- Enjoy the radiant skin you’ve always wanted with Moxi + BBL. If you’re looking for a gentle approach to radiant skin, we have your solution! Moxi is the easy and comfortable way to “prejuvenate” your skin, and is a great addition to your skin care routine. Moxi is the latest way to revitalize and refresh your skin’s appearance by correcting uneven pigmentation and improving tone and texture. When combined with BBL, the procedure also treats brown and red spots. The best part is that it yields amazing results for all skin types with minimal downtime, and is a great option for men, too.
- Start an at-home self monitoring routine. You spend 100% of time in your skin, so monitoring any changes, bumps, rashes or skin irritations is the best way to get treatment or find resolutions as quickly as possible. If you notice any new spots on your skin, find spots that look different from others, or find that some spots are changing, itching or bleeding, make an appointment to see one of our board-certified dermatologists.
- Volumize and treat fine lines with fillers! Fillers are composed of hyaluronic acid, which is a substance found in normal tissue. Depending on the location and the product used, results may last three to 24 months. These products are great for first-time patients who are apprehensive. We can give you a natural look, and they are the safest, since they can be dissolved if desired. The thinner products such as Juvederm Ultra XC are used to treat fine lines, while thicker products such as Juvederm Voluma and Restylane Lyft are used to volumize. One treatment that lasts all year– What could be better than that?!
Having the healthiest and happiest skin is totally possible, and we are here to help! If you’re looking for some new tips and techniques to get the most out of your skin, schedule an appointment with one of our board certified dermatologists today!